Friday, December 27, 2013

T.V. Series VS. Book

This question is for those of you who have seen the T.V. series of The Game of Thrones. So far, I believe that the show has been pretty accurate towards the book. What Scenes do you guys like better in the book or the show? Not only that, but how do you think the characters change from the book to the show and which one do you like better?

5 comments:

  1. One scene I think that that I thought translated better in the tv show was Bran's fall. It was much more dramatic and it showed Jaime's character a bit better than the dialogue in the book. However, I like in the book the spiritual descriptions of Bran and the hawk while he is unconscious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another one, I think, is Daenarys' wedding to Khal Drogo. In the book, there were so many parts of that scene that George R. R. Martin just skimmed over as if they were unimportant, but when you watch the scene, they're just heightened. Like when he points out that Viserys is seated below Drogo and Dany, in the scene, it looks like Viserys is irritated and annoyed and he's fidgeting. Martin does several things well, but one thing he does not do well is conveying emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Viserys's punishment better in the book because it showed how Dany had changed. In the show it just reinforces the idea that the Dothraki value their Khaleesi over her brother. In the book, it show that Dany has finally overcome her brother's abuse and taken control of her own life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The TV show follows the book very closely, I have to agree. But there are some definite points that are better in each respective medium. I love seeing the story come to life, even if it's not always 100% accurate to the book. Sam's right in the point about Dany and Drogo's wedding, and Viserys's death is SO much more satisfying to see on the screen than to read, even though the scene is still satisfying because Viserys has literally not a single redeeming quality (I sincerely hope that Joffrey will someday at least show ONE redeeming quality, I don't want to hate him yet but I just can't help myself). Gina's point about Viserys's loss of control over Daenerys is pretty true as well, it's not something you see to the same vibrance that it's portrayed in the show...

    Bran's fall, for me, was much more rage-inducing in the book. I hated watching it regardless, but it hurt way more for me to read that passage than to watch Jaime scoff and push him out. Bran's portrayal in the show isn't something I'm entirely satisfied with, my mental image of him (age difference permitting between the show and book) was very different from Isaac Hempstead-Wright's look, though he does a good job portraying Bran's... spirit, if you will. Bran's prophetic dreams with the three-eyed crow were WONDERFUL in the show, in my opinion... but it just occurred to me that we never discussed the symbolism of crows (harbingers of death and suffering, Stark luck, much?) earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crows were a very big symbol within the show and they were mentioned many times. I agree that we didn't discuss those topics as much either. However, one part in the book about crows that stood out to me was right before Bran got push off the tower. The woman told Bran that the crows would peck his eyes out and he knew that wasn't true because he has fed them before and they left him alone. It's cool to see even little mentions of the symbols within the book.

    ReplyDelete