Sunday, December 29, 2013

Trust

(Via Robbertopoli.deviantart.com)
(Via gothicspork.deviantart.com)
The Starks are screwed. Of that, we are all aware by now. While I do not actually know the exact manner of said screwing, I know that their trust of these two is completely misguided.
Varys has absolutely no reason to help them, other than it would be the right thing to do. Ned Stark seems to be unaware that Varys is completely unconcerned with what is the right thing to do. He is a collector and seller of information, and they by nature tend not to stick to any single side.
Littlefinger, on the other hand, believe will help them because of his long-burning crush on Catelyn. The fact that she is already married suggests that an end in which Catelyn is left widowed and vulnerable is what he is looking for.
The Starks are not the only ones who are putting their trust in the wrong hands. I was surprised when I found out Jorah was giving the crown information about Dany's status. In hindsight, it's obvious that he has no real reason to care about Dany and the Dothraki, and that selling them out would be a fast way back to his coveted home, but it didn't click in my head until after the reveal.
Robert Baratheon, on the other hand, may have too little trust in him. He rightly distrusts his in-laws and "son", but is not trusting Ned when Ned is all he has on his side, really.
Who do you think deserves and does not deserve trust? Do you agree/disagree with anything I've said?

4 comments:

  1. I've always been more skeptical of Lord Varys because of how everyone knows that he has spies stationed throughout King's Landing. He is the eyea and ears of the place and learns of everything first. Lord Baelish, however, has got the money and power to make things happen (moreso than the eunich). While they're both shady something about Lord Varys is off putting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what Gina said as the Starks putting their trust in the wrong hand. I'm sure that Varys will betrayed them and try to get rid of Lord Stark completely and put the family into a sticky situation. I also kinda agree with what you said about Robert. There are times when he trust Ned, but I think when he needed to trust him most Robert doesn't seem to trust him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I think you're right about Littlefinger's goal of leaving Catelyn widowed, I also think that he will do whatever it takes to protect her and keep her happy. I feel like he will not be as ruthless and he seems when it comes to her.

    Lord Varys is definitely someone to keep an eye on, he seems to have no motive other than knowing everything and anything about everyone.

    I think Jorah is foolish to give the crown information on Dany. If she (or Khal Drogo) found out, I'm pretty sure that would be the end of Jorah. (Or so I think). I also think that most of the characters work for their own good and not for the good of anyone else. (Except for a select few)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the little issues about misplaced trust are certainly interesting for the story; Lord Varys is definitely shady, and I'm curious to get to know more about him and see him a little more, and possibly learn his motives. I want to know what's really in it for him other than being able to go "I know all of your secrets, lol."

    Jorah's a whole 'nother animal, just knowing what I know of him from watching the show (and unfortunately spoiling some of the books for myself), it's strange to view him as someone who would stab Dany in the back, since when we first see him he's introduced as an honest friend to her, at least from what I've read. He gives her the songs and histories of the Seven Kingdoms, he translates the Dothraki language for her in some places if I remember right, and he seems to honestly stand by her side. His only noticeable motive is that he wants to go home. Baelish and Varys are instantly suspicious just knowing what we know of them, though, and perhaps it's just their proximity to the Crown that makes them so testy and off-putting to the reader, but I believe they're MUCH more visibly malicious than Jorah.

    ReplyDelete