Wednesday, January 1, 2014
Ambush on Catelyn's Journey to Eerie
I'm not really sure how far everyone is in the book at the moment, but I would like to focus on the part when Catelyn Stark is heading down to Eerie with her hostage. Tyrion Lanister is the hostage and isn't being treated to well, however when they are being ambush he makes his first kill in the book to save Lady Stark. I find this event rather astonishing because Tryion never seemed to be one of the aggressive and killing type. What do you guys think about it and should he have saved her even though he was her hostage?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think it shows a noble attribute to Tyrion that he made no efforts to escape. However, I think it's interesting if you look at how Catelyn handles the situation. She, afterwards, reflects by saying how she can't remember the names of the men who died for her, and she doesn't even feel bad. So we see Tyrion acting a lot more noble and Catelyn a little less. They have an interesting dynamic.
ReplyDeleteI can see your reasoning for that. Its also ironic that she is trying to be noble to bring justice to her son for an attempt to kill Brann, Even Though Tryion didn't try to kill Brann. Now she seems less noble in the way you put it.
DeleteI think that because of Tyrion's status in the world, he doesn't feel like he can afford to make serious enemies of people; maybe because of the fact that he can't get himself out of trouble all on his own. I also think that Catelyn is a bit harried. She's worried about Bran, she's worried about her family in King's Landing, and all she wants is for the people who caused her to worry to come to "justice", even if she's wrong. (Though it does seem like she cares about making sure that the truth is known.)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteTyrion is smart, there's no questioning that. Now, there's several possible reasons I could see for him saving her other than ones that others have listed.
ReplyDelete1. Tyrion is aware that killing his captor would make him look quite bad, especially when people know he supposedly already killed her son.
2. If Catelyn dies, the others will not be able to bring Tyrion to proper justice because he is a Lannister and they are Not; thus, they will just kill him and say bandits did it.
3. The pleasure of saying I Told You So to Catelyn.
He's complex, like most of the characters in this series. It could be one or more of the above, or other reasons entirely. Most actions in this series have multiple reasons.
(BTW, the deleted comment from "Bella" is actually one I made while after she logged in my phone and I didn't notice.)