The relationship between Jon and Tyrion is one of my favorite relationships in the book so far. Tyrion doesn't allow Jon to pity himself, but he also doesn't allow Jon to see himself other than how he really is. That is a unique gift in this book, especially since almost everyone in this book seems to have some sort of secret or hidden agenda.
In my opinion, Tyrion is so perfect.
I get the feeling that Tyrion is almost there just to make the other characters look bad while he rocks his dwarfism and hatred of self-pity everywhere, I like how he sort of whips Jon into shape though. The scene at the feast a while back was great, when Tyrion first talked to Jon about the whole self pity thing and refused to stop calling him bastard. I remember that scene too when Tyrion was leaving, and from Jon's POV where we get this little snippet of an image of Tyrion: "When he opened the door, the light from within threw his shadow clear across the yard, and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king." (pg 48 for me, probably 53 for you guys with the smaller books, it's at the end of a chapter and the next chapter is Catelyn). I'm getting some strange sense of foreshadowing or something from saying Tyrion stood as tall as a king, and I don't think consciously that he ever attains that title (or that he even wants it, but still) I don't know what to make of that.
ReplyDeleteI thought that line stuck out too because it ended the chapter and got me thinking about Tyrion as king because he's probably the only sensible Lannister in their family. Everyone else prospered through their wealth but Tyrion had to struggle through life because he was a dwarf. I think he'd make a better king than Joff any day, because he has his priorities straight and knows what he's talking about, he'd just rather spend the time with whores and ales rather than political matters because he's so used to being excludes.
DeleteI think that Jon really liked Tyrion because it gave him hope that people wold eventually give him respect for his actions, rather than thinking of him in terms of how he was born. Tyrion showe him that your actions define who you are. (at risks of sounding cliched.)
ReplyDeleteTrue! I like Jon and Tyrion, they strike me as characters that can create a good friendship once they get past their respective demons. Tyrion's got really good advice though, his whole schtick about owning things that aren't favorable so nobody can hurt you with them? Genius.
Delete