http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BRaGFb64wg
Listening to this while I was reading was actually pretty interesting, it helped me to sort of visualize everything in the world of Winterfell and such, since the bits I've read have been almost devoid of elaboration on setting or characters' appearances. Personally, I find the lack of description annoying, but perhaps it will change later in the book. (I only started reading it recently, and am just beginning the third chapter, but I'll be caught up for Monday.)
I kind of attribute the lack of description to how deeply the story intertwines. Because there are so many characters and the world is massive, if everything was described in detail then the book would be nearly double the length.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite part of the books is reading through the perspective of Arya because she is so rebellious and curious, and when they're in the sewing room you can just hear the dread in her voice and the way the chapter is written.
ALSO: Probably my favorite piece of imagery is the stag horn in the dead Direwolf. ;)
I love everything from Jon and Tyrione, its just so interesting the way they view everything in terms of themselves. Also, I kinda love Deanerys although she hasn't done much so far.
ReplyDeleteFear not, Bella. You shall get descriptions of the entire Stark brood's appearances. Martin just seems to dislike info dump.
ReplyDeleteKnowing something about what is going to happen, I myself am stuck between horror and amusement at Martin's ironic foreshadowing, ie Jamie saying it is better to kill a disabled person than to let them be a 'grotesque'.
I love the way Martin writes, he leaves some things to the imagination, and others he goes into detail on, and the things that he goes into detail on are just so great.
ReplyDeleteI'm almost to the chapter where we're cutting off for now, and I've gotten some descriptions (finally) I love it. Tyrion, Arya, Jon, everything is great. Winterfell sounds beautiful, Joffery sounds beautiful but heinously misbehaved (it's hysterical the way he behaves like a child and throws fits)... everything is amazing. The amount of incest and hints of incest are quite... numerous, though. The Lannister Queen (I can't remember her name) and her brother getting it on was a little uncomfortable especially because Bran was just chilling there, but what seriously pushed me over the edge of the "Um how about NO" scale of the whole thing was the queen's brother pushing Bran out the window (I think the brother's name is Jaime? There are so many characters and so many relationships and so many nicknames I'm dying.) but Tyrion's choice words when he's talking to Jaime are flawless, when they're discussing Bran and he says "I hope the boy does wake. I would be most interested to hear what he might have to say." That just killed me, I love how done with everything Tyrion seems, it's kind of hilarious.
ReplyDeleteYou can just see the relationship between Jaime, Cersei, and Tyrion so well. Tyrion is undoubtedly the outcast, and I love the way he's described when him and Jon have a talk outside of the feast. It makes him seem inhuman, and he relates to Jon because they've both been shunned by their parents (As Catelyn despises Jon similarly to Tywin despising Tyrion.) Tyrion, Dany, and Jon are my three favorite characters <3
ReplyDeleteOh my god I ADORED the scene when Tyrion and Jon talked outside the feast, I'm pretty sure I dogeared the page(s) it happened across. And is Cersei the name of the Lannister lady? I can't keep too many of the names straight in my head, there are so many of them it's insane... if I can toss in my own two cents on favorite characters I think I gotta cite Jon, Tyrion, and Bran so far, even though Bran is... well, comatose and knowing what I know of the series he's probably going to die.
ReplyDeleteCersei is the queen's name. I love that Tyrion loves to make the other members of his family uncomfortable. He acts like he knows everything that is going on with them, and he makes just the right remarks to make them squirm. I kinda hate Joffrey's character. I mean, it makes sense that he's entitled and arrogant and mean, cause he's been raised to think that he can have everything. He's also been raised to think that if anyone disagrees with him then they are wrong, and nothing they can say will change his mind. Dany is one of my favorites, but I really love Arya. She's so head-strong and unwilling to let anyone tell her how to behave. If she wants to do something, she'll do it, and if she disagrees with someone then she'll tell them that she disagrees with them, and tell them exactly why. She's a flawless person; in my personal opinion.
ReplyDeleteI too hate Joffrey as well. To me, he appears to be spoiled and gets everything he wants. For instance, when he sees the butchers boy sword fighting with Arya and the wolf bites him. He claims that none of it was his fualt at all and order his father to kill the wolf to die. I think its quite shameful to act like that and someone up for the throne should not be raised like that.
DeleteI agree, I love how Arya breaks the gender barriers. Instead of sewing she wants to practice sword fighting. There are a lot of strong female leads in the books too. Even though I don't really like cersei, she does have a big role on what happens in the kingdom. Its more of a sumbmissive ruling though, if that makes sense. She doesn't do what she wants herself bug has people do it for her, such as having lady killed.
ReplyDeleteTrue
ReplyDeleteIn regards to strong female leads, I once saw an interview clip from some entertainment agency with George R. R. Martin and the interviewer said something like "You write some very... /different/ ladies in this series! Is there any reason for that?" And Martin just says, "Well, you know, I've always thought that women were people." I love Arya, she's so out there and I love her little bromance with Jon.
ReplyDeleteI love how he holds back from the absurd amount of description most authors randomly put in. His character development is wonderful . . . as all you guy pointed out. I love how he continues on the same track like killing a lot of characters then he just twists something, gives a little hope, a little something to make you continue reading. I wish through that Ned went back to Winterfell after Bran fell
ReplyDelete