Monday, January 6, 2014

BACK TO ENGLISH CLASS

So we finally have a B day. Joy!
So I know as our journey of Game of Thrones comes to and end, I'd like everyone to say how far they got, predictions for the rest of the book, and how you would rate it.
I got to the first rewarding death of the novel, and one of the only in the book.
SPOILER ALERT:
Viserys gets his golden crown :)
I kinda like the way the book is written but it's super daunting. The series is just so compelling, but there is just so much. Maybe if the series was rewritten each book could have more focus on a house or character. Just an idea. Anyways, the books I would give an 8/10. Can't wait to finish!

6 comments:

  1. Can I angst for a moment about the fact that Robb doesn't get a POV? The book is amazing, and so is the TV series, but I'm seriously bothered by not knowing what's up in the Stark Heir's head, you know? He's a boy thrust into being the Lord of Winterfell, and the thing with Ned, well... let's not talk about that. But seriously, Robb could do with a POV, in my opinion. (No I totally didn't get super attached to him from watching the show... haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this book, I would rate it a 9/10 because i loved the plot of the story however, they scenes tend to shift the point of views a lot and whenever i wanted to focus on part of the story it would change around to the other scene. It did make it a bit suspenseful. Also not trying to be a spoiler, but i also made it as far as Josh. It was quite the scene when he gets his golden crown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think the book has been amazing! And I agree with Bella's comment about having Robb's POV. It would have been interesting seeing how he feels about all the responsibility that was dumped on him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could agree with Robb getting his own point of view, but I'm sure there is a reason why Martin decided not to. He's never really on his own in the story. He's either with Brann or Catelyn and the only purpose the chapters would serve is to reflect his emotions. I don't think they'd really further the plot, but getting to see more of him would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got quite a bit past the part about Viserys' crown (yay for Dany!!!!). I would definitely agree with Kevin's assessment of the book. I would give it a 9/10 because of the POV switches. Something would get really good and intense, and then the chapter would end leaving me wanting to know more, but forced to go on to the next character. One thing that I really liked about the POV switches were the different viewpoints on the events in the book. Where Ned would be calm and look for a rational explanation for something, Catelyn throws all caution to the wind and defends her children at any cost. I love that they do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Viserys's golden crown is certainly worthy of a celebration, I doubt anyone will miss him. As for the POV changes and such, it /is/ very aggravating to have something to get hyped up about or otherwise intrigued (such as the chapter when Bran was pushed out the window, perhaps?) and then the chapter ends and you're in a whole new setting with a new character and new motives and struggles and such, but I think George R. R. Martin did that on purpose, he has to find some way to keep readers on the edges of their seats until the end, right? While I may not like it myself, I can appreciate that it makes for a good story, it gives you a kind of perspective on how it's impossible to know everything at once for these characters, and the dramatic irony can be really intense, for example, back a bit when we were reading from... Catelyn's POV I believe? It was way back when Littlefinger brought her to the whorehouse. And Ned appeared and he was positively livid and tried to hurt Littlefinger until Catelyn popped her head out to bark at him and call him inside to talk. The story is beautifully crafted.

    ReplyDelete